Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The mills of the gods grind slow and exceedingly small, but they may be grinding flour for bread!

 

I suspect that this is supposed to be mildly alarming -- a not-so-subtle reminder that whatever-it-was-that-we-did that hasn't come back to bite us in the butt will nonetheless someday be biting firmly into that butt with sharp fangs.

But not all karma is bad karma, at least as I understand this religious notion from a tradition that is not my own. So the good karma should be coming back around to kiss me warmly on the lips, too, at some point. And just because at the moment I may be more aware of something nipping ominously at my rear -- and not in a good way, let me add -- good things will also be coming my way someday, somewhere if I have been doing good along the way.

So to me, this sign is not a threat but a promise: the good you and I have tried to spread into our world will help make that world better for us, too, at some point. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow. But it will happen.

Just think about Florida, for example. It happened. Good happened to the same-sex couples seeking the right to marry and bad happened to Pam Bondi. Isn't it funny how karma can accomplish two things at the same time in a single action? 

Go karma! Go karma! Go karma!

No comments:

Post a Comment